Hi everyone my name is Vicky and I love swimming. I only learnt to swim 1 year ago after I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, a condition that causes premature ageing of the spine and left me unable to walk properly for 3 months and with severe pain and long term nerve damage. I found that through swimming my condition improved dramatically and so far I have avoided any surgery and no longer take any pain medication. I have baffled many medical professionals!! I first swam in the pool for recovery but as I am a huge fan of the great outdoors I am now a regular open water swimmer. In the last year I have gone on to complete many things I never thought possible including swimming in the Serpentine in London’s Hyde Park and being one of the 300 swimmers that completed the final mile of The Great British Swim alongside the heroic Ross Edgley. Swimming has changed my life and it is now my mission to inspire as many other people as possible to swim. The benefits of swimming are incredible, to both our bodies and our minds. This is why I have recently trained with double Olympic medalist Kerri-Anne Payne to become an open water coach myself. I would say to anyone reading this, never give up. Whatever your goals are, when you believe in yourself, anything is possible.

Posted by Vicky Malmsjo (Her Spirit Swim Coach) at 2019-04-26 07:19:07 UTC